Monday, May 2, 2011

It's time to take the granny out of Granny Squares


For the longest time I associated crochet with yellowed doilies on worn armrests and dusty sideboards. I really believed that that was all that could be produced with that funny little hook, so it's little wonder I had no desire to learn this craft.


Thanks to the wonderful of Etsy and the internet a few recent discoveries have left me enlightened. As you may be able to tell from my ring designs I have a fondness for flower shapes, bright colours and intricate circular patterns, all of which are reproduced in these crocheted creations.


I don't know exactly when it was that the faded doilies became fab dresses, but I suspect it has been for some time, and, as usual I'm a bit behind. Now, of course, I'm desperate to learn this versatile craft and hopefully whip up a few pretty things of my own.


I've had my mum visiting from Namibia and she's done her best to teach me a few basic stitches but I'm still a long way away. To be honest, I'm actually even struggling just to hold the thread and hook correctly. Yes, a very long way away...


Fortunately, being a Taurean, patience and determination are my strong points, and, thanks to a recent BrisStyle post,  I have also discovered a wonderful place right here in Brisbane called Tangled Yarns. Not only do they sell a stupendous amount of crochet and knitting stuff, but they also give classes for the very uninitiated like me.


 I will be signing up very soon and look forward
to practising this versatile  craft!

 

Meanwhile I will just keep admiring these beautiful
creations and allow them to keep me inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment