Monday, January 31, 2011

Mending a broken heart

With Valentine's Day coming up I thought it would be a good idea to list some heart-themed rings.
What I didn't think was how challenging it would be. My beadwoven rings are created with a circular peyote stitch, which starts in the centre and increases towards the outer edge. By using different colour beads at different stages I create the various designs. I don't work from any patterns and just experiment with ideas as I go along. Trying to make a non-circular design in a circular weave is pretty tricky.

 This was my first attempt. Tops are too pointy!

 Second attempt. Love these two colours together but they are all wrong for this design, which needs a strong contrast. I couldn't see what I was doing and it ended up being too lumpy around the edges.

 Third attempt - success! Still not perfect but this is as good as it gets.

So here it is. There will be only one Valentine's contribution after all. After spending a whole afternoon trying to figure this out I've decided to put it into the too hard basket. Definitely a one-of-a-kind creation!
Back to flowers, stars and circles.

2 comments:

  1. I love it!! I think the res and white is a great combination, the heart really stands out! Red and purple would be nice too or red and black.

    ReplyDelete